Wednesday, 22 December 2010

End of Year


- 1 says 0.  1 knows 0. - grant morrison - from we3 -


This blog's represented some of my thoughts on the field into which I'm entering, and reflected on the recent events in Higher Education policy which threaten to upend the sector I want to be a part of.  But I don't want to do an end of year round up, I'll leave that for other blogs, too many wars, leaks, oil spills, and iPad launches for me to do justice to (it's not only holiday season, but marking season too...).

At the end of term when I was at school we used to play games in class, maybe watch a video.  The teachers always tried to keep it on topic, English staff attempting to talk us into awful Shakespeare adaptations for instance, until they'd eventually give in and let us watch Star Wars (in hindsight a missed opportunity to teach us the heroes journey...).  With that in mind this post is this blog's end of term alternate class (supply your own party rings).

I've done my best to keep up with music a bit more this year (I've been a bit neglectful since undergrad).  This isn't a 'best of' list, just the stuff that's been on my headphones most this year, things I got a kick out of, and things I wish I'd listened to more (the joy of any retrospective trawl).  Mostly punky guitar bands and glitchy electronic bits and pieces, but hopefully there'll be something of interest somewhere down the list.  I've posted youtube video examples, but most of it can be tracked down on Spotify, or, better yet, buy some albums you missed!

Have a good Christmas and I'll see you in the new year.

_m

Favourite Albums 2010

1) Titus Andronicus - The Monitor

2) Cloud Nothings - Turning On

3) James Blake - Klavierwerke (EP)

4) How to Dress Well - Love Remains

5) Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

6) Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

7) Four Tet - There is Love in You

8) Screaming Females - Castle Talk

9) Gold Panda - Lucky Shiner

10) Love is All - Two Thousand and Ten Injuries


Great Single Tracks (not on those albums)

1) Japandroids - Younger Us

2) The Knife - Colouring of Pigeons

3) The National - Terrible Love

4) No Age - Glitter

5) Shabazz Palaces - Blastit at the homie rayzer’s charm lake plateau bbq july at outpalace pk.

6) Salem - King Night

7) James Blake - CMYK

8) Moonface - Dreamland EP: Marimba and Shit Drums

9) Broken Social Scene - World Sick

10) Sun Airway - Put the Days Away

11) Glasser - Home

12) Sharon van Etten - Love More

13) Fang Island - Daisy

14) Sam Amidon - How Come That Blood

15) Delorean - Stay Close

16) Robyn - Indestructible

17) Florence and the Machine - Hurricane Drunk (Horrors Remix)

18) The Tallest Man on Earth - King of Spain

19) No Joy - Hawaii

20) Lissie - Pursuit of Happiness (Kid Cudi Cover)

3 comments:

LuSaifer said...

arrghhhh matttt!!!!! you have AWESOME TASTE.

Younger Us is such an incredible incredible track! Japandroids are one of my favourite bands, and that song just encompasses romance. The p4k blurb to that track on their end of yr list made it sound like it should have got number 1 (but it was at a VERY undeserving 42). I also love Colouring of Pigeons, Glitter and DAISY -http://sailencethenoise.blogspot.com/2010/03/ghost-in-machine.html (advanced apologies for my blithering)

Haven't given No Joy/BSS/Glasser/Salem enough plays and i havent listened to any of the others you've got up there on tracks. Tallest Man though is a recent obsession for me and i really like Love Is All on that album. Plus I am trying to get into James Blake more but just have "I Only Know" on repeat...

You know where Titus are at on my list :) Standard. Kieren Hebden is a genius i adore him and anything he does so that album is definitely up there for me, and Screamales! I think i like Los Angeles better but i'm not sure if Cosmogramma will make it on my list. I thought you might have had Sleigh Bells up there?!

Also have you listened to any Mark McGuire or Julian Lynch? I've just been getting into them, but i already want to include them in a 'further few favourites' list.

I'll link you to mine when i've got round to indulging in the customary end of yr geek out :)

x

cryurchin said...

Hey Sai,

Glad you enjoyed!

Japandroids are awesome, if they can make another amazing album I think they've got a real chance of sticking around as something special.

James Blake album's leaked, but I'm trying to resist until it comes out in February. Klavierwerke and CMYK EPs are both worth tracking down, and Limit to Your Love is oddly haunting.

I need to listen to more Salem!

Give Cosmogramma another listen! With headphones, preferably walking around town. That album just makes sense as a whole thing, I found it really hard to pick out an example track.

I got bored of Sleigh Bells early this year. I know that's bad, and I almost put a single track up, but I did just over listen to that album and it stopped being fun. I wonder if they can doing anything on a second album? That could be exciting.

Mark McGuire's awesome, narrowly missed the cut, but I don't really know Julian Lynch, just a track here and there.

Looking forward to your list to see what else I missed!

_m x

Yanny'sYak said...

I know exactly what you are talking about when you were talking about the games and videos in class. My teachers used to try and do the same thing. More commonly, our substitutes would just come into class and turn on a movie!

Post a Comment