Saturday, 11 July 2009

inaugural - 1352 words


- it starts with a list -

I'm blogging my thesis because

1 - I procrastinate online like everyone else.
2 - I could do with some support.
3 - I will have questions.
4 - I will need answers.
5 - I've never blogged before and I write about the technology of words.

I promise this won't just be word counts. I'm hoping that there might even be some discussions in the wake of some of these posts.

Best

_m


- from the introduction -

"Humans, Homo sapiens sapiens, are reading and writing beings. This is just one of the stories of how this strange animal came to use that fact to its advantage, and why they may yet be taken advantage of by that same fact. Much of what we’ll be discussing in the next chapter will attempt to show how books and computers are equally and wholly unnatural to us, in as much as it is not within our nature to use them. It is, I will argue, only our remarkable ability to adapt to our creations which can render them invisible, and as mundane as breathing. But reading and writing, as separate from books and pens and keyboards, in this view of our nature is certainly natural.

We are innately literate, thanks to our evolutionary history, so long as writing doesn’t mean letters, and reading doesn’t require words. To write is to put information into the world that exists outside of ourselves with some degree of visual presence; it is an outering of our minds that is not limited to the conventions and sounds of speech. To read is to take visual information from the world into ourselves in order to interpret it; the expressions on the faces that surround us, the passing of the seasons, the move from day to night, all of these are intuitively ‘read’. And our gestures, our tracks in the sand, the blood and bones we’ve left in the earth, all of this is ‘natural’ writing."



No comments:

Post a Comment